FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (November 1, 2018)
SASKATOON, YOU’VE BEEN TOUCHED BY A RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS
SASKATOON – If you’re like the majority of us in this community, you’re busy. A typical day has you working eight to 10 hours with both work and family responsibilities. Wouldn’t it be nice to slow down for once and say “hey, thanks!” and maybe show others a bit of kindness?
Random Act of Kindness Day is Friday November 2, 2018. It is a day to celebrate the kindness in our community and encourage others to pay those “acts of kindness” forward. Cards have been circulating throughout the community. The cards encourage the cardholder to perform a simple act of kindness for someone – a neighbour, a friend, a co-worker, or someone they don’t even know – and hand the card over to that person – encouraging him/her to do the same.
Random Act of Kindness cards are available at Saskatoon Community Foundation Office 101-308 4th Ave North Saskatoon.
“Kindness is a universal language through which we can help one another to feel a sense of belonging throughout our diverse community. It’s so important not only to recognize when someone does something nice for us, but also do something nice in return.” says Carm Michalenko, Executive Director Saskatoon Community Foundation.
There are so many ways to be kind – scrape your neighbours windows in the morning, buy someone a coffee, congratulate someone on a job well done, act as a sounding board for another, even something as simple as holding open a door for someone with their hands full – each act provides us with an opportunity to connect with a member of our community. We have compiled a list of 101 Acts of Kindness to get your started.
“Random acts of kindness are a wonderful way to touch the life of another person and absolutely make our world a better place,” Carm Michalenko. “Random Act of Kindness Day helps to remind us of our humanity and promote an inclusive community. With each year, Random Act of Kindness Day has grown as more people in Saskatoon celebrate the spirit of kindness and join in the fun!”
Random Acts of Kindness initiatives will be happening at businesses and in the community to highlight the kindness of our community.
- Saskatoon Community Foundation, on behalf of our donors, will be delivering a Random Act of Granting to a charitable organization in Saskatoon to help them with their programming. Saskatoon Community Foundation will present their Grant at 12:00pm at Lighthouse Assisted Living 304 2nd Avenue South Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
- The Tim Hortons at 3803 Millar Avenue will be attempting a record for the MOST pay it forward orders in a single day. Tim Horton challenges all coffee shop patrons to this challenge- share your results on Social Media with hashtags #RAKyxe #PayItForward.
- To help people who want to be part of the challenge but may not be able to get to the location, we are offering the ability to call 306.665.1756 or 306.665.1754 between 8:00AM-10:00AM. We will take pay it forward orders- for $35 the University of Saskatchewan Huskies will deliver coffees and treats to random care homes and senior’s homes in Saskatoon. Visa and Mastercard will be accepted forms of payment.
- Saskatoon Transit will be surprising some of their Access Transit customers with treats from Tim Horton’s all over the city.
- SaskTel Pioneers will be out during the evening handing out mittens, scarves and $5 Tim’s cards to individuals with the message to keep the items if they are needed or pay them forward to someone else who does.
- Alerces Spanish Preschool & Kindergarten have planned to share cookies and coffee with the neighbourhood Fire Department and their neighbours.
Join the community and participate in Random Act of Kindness Day!
Friday November 2, 2018, Saskatoon, SK
Saskatoon Random Act of Kindness Day 2018 Committee:
Saskatoon Community Foundation
Saskatoon Media Group
City of Saskatoon Transit
For more information, contact:
Jessie Usselman, Marketing and Development Coordinator
Don Ewles, Grants and Communications Manager